Wednesday, February 12, 2014

For Ray

Well here ya go Ray. Some of the latest additions with a little more detail for you. Also the fire wood DID happen.  Smile.
Marples M44 Plough
 The folks at the Cornish Workshop love 'em. See here: http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/ploughplane.html
This one is in pristine condition. Whilst this is good in terms of collecting, it hasn't got the same appeal for me as a tool with evidence of a full life of hard and honest work and the sweat of tradesman past.

Henry Disston Saw Clamp
This Henry Disston Saw Clamp is an ebay find. At 20 lbs weigh I thought that the postal charges would be too much. However the guy who had it was able to get it to me from Melbourne for a very reasonable $15.
I don't know when this one was made but they were patented in 1893, so some time between then and when they stopped making them the price has gone from Shillings 30.00 a dozen to my purchase price of $50. Should have bought a couple of dozen back then when I was a kid. I'd be disgustingly rich by now.

The brass backed tenon saw is a TRULYN brand of which i can find no information at all. 

Starrett Combination Set.
 The square and ruler were kept out on a shelf by its previous owner and so suffered from the normal stains when dust and moisture settles on a tool which is not used regularly. However he kept the other two pieces (as the old timers used to) wrapped in an oil rag. Didn't do heaps for the box, but look at the condition of the tools... Wosers!!! The graduation are clear and precise and easily read.I put this one into my category of very, very lucky finds.



Square and ruler after a light clean

Pope No 4 after a clean and sharpen. Works Nice.

Redgum bowl. 

Future masterpieces saved from the fire wood pile

Elm on the chopping block waiting for inspiration. 
 Lemon scented Gum waiting for the fireplace.


Spokeshave

I've seen this logo before, but can't remember which manufacturer.

1 comment:

Ray said...

By Ray I guess you mean me?

Not sure when you posted it as no date? Glad I didn't see it before I went to Traditional Tools Group sale last weekend 23rd. Some 50+ tables of old tools and some with new ones.
You have a knack of picking up some real nice kit Geoff.
All look as tho they need my closer inspection will gladly give address to mail them to me. LOL

Oh the Starrett Protractor I picked one up just the Protractor up at Oberon out of a junk box Scott McGregor had $5. Its missing the screw and spring other wise in good nick.
I have my Dad's Pope No4 but with Stanley Cap.

I guess the Plough is now housed in the glass museum? LOL

Good to see you sharpen your own saws as well.

Ray