Inspired by some of Clive's models, I have decided to have a go at model boat building myself. The boat I have selected to build first is a Whitehall 14 foot skiff. The Whitehall was not a ships boat, but designed primarily to be rowed and was used around the waterfront's of New York and Boston by boarding house runners (and others) requiring a fast easily rowed seaworthy boat.
The plans are from John Gardner's, Building Classic Small craft. I have used New Zealand Kari for the build and adopted a 1"to 1' scale.
Frame layup with keel fixed to the frame station profiles.
The shear strake is the first plank to go on. The plan calls for this to be overlapped on the second plank in the manner of a clinker built boat, but as this is my first boat I have gone for carvel build throughout.
Second plank placed adjacent to the shear strake.
No comments:
Post a Comment