Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A Days Spent Slabbing up the Lilly Pilly an Flattening the Silky Oak


... now just 3 years to wait until it air dries and I can make something out of it.

Its amazing what you can do with a $165 electric chain saw. As long as the blade is sharp, it is pretty easy to control the cut.



I made up a guide for the chain saw, but didn't like it so after much deliberation decided to tackle the cuts freehand.

Unlike the liquid amber, which stains any steel that comes near it, the Lilly Pilly slabbed cleanly and easily. I choose to cut it at 2 1/2 inches thick, rotating the slab so as to get a quarter sawn cut. A bit wasteful, but I was unsure how accurately I could cut it freehand.



Update. Next day we dug out more of the silky oak and did some preliminary flattening.
The log I am working on with the chainsaw is 6  inches deep. Hell knows what I am going to do with it.





Maybe a coffee table top here.

No comments: