Friday, September 27, 2013

Wow... Found some Walnut



Poked my nose over the side fence thismorning to find Murray had a tree guy in to thin out his backyard a bit.  Laury... the tree guy mentioned he had just cut down a wallnut tree in the yard of one of Geelongs older homes and would I like some. Welll YES of course...

Sent from Samsung Mobile

4 comments:

Ray said...

Geoff your one very lucky fellow, I have turned a couple of pens from QLD Walnut some quilted and its beaut to work although can get a bit touchy. Hope it all is sealed well and drys without to much damage. I look forward down the track to seeing the end results.

Ray

Monty said...

Hi Ray, yep, all painted up un the ends. I split one and made up a couple of turning blanks, one of which I put into the lathe to rough it down a bit whilst it was green. It was an interesting learning experience. The wood was wet, but not as wet as turning a piece of green Cyprus. It was however very hard to get any sort of finish. Very fury. Even with a scraper there was a lot of tearout. I have painted it with some 'sanding finish' to try and get some of the softness out of it and will return it to the lathe shortly to see if it works. Interestingly, I thought walnut was a dark timber. This is very blond. Will let you know how it goes.

Ray said...

Hi Geoff by finish I guess you mean off the tool?
Rub it with some of the shavings or store it in a paper bag with the shaving for a week or so helps.
The other thing is to use an old Microwave. I place the item in a paper bag use med to high and turn it on for no more than 20sec at a time open the microwave and check progress. Time is depending on how thick it is some times 10sec. It will steam allow that to clear check each time. Remember they cook from the inside out. DO NOT use the home micowave you have in the kitchen. Oh they get hot watch the fingers.
To help dry it on the lathe a lamp 100w does well also.
The Walnut I have is mid colour some does come very dark.

Monty said...

Hi Ray, thanks for the advice, will try it out. I have given the blank a couple of coats of sanding sealer in the hope to strengthen the fibers.will let you know how that works out. Cheers Geoff.