Sunday, September 30, 2012

Woden Push Pin

I am rather thrilled with my latest little purchase. Michael had invited me down to take a look at a new lot of tools he had recently purchased from a retiring cabinet maker. Amongst the Stanley planes, mortice chisels, Arkansas oil stones, Record cabinet scrapers, Diston saws - all users and beautifully kept - was this little mystery object.
    

I had never seen one before, so off to Google. It turns out to be a 'push pin'. It is used to set small brads saving your fingers from the hammer. I used it to make a little box. I can't understand how I (moreover my fingers) have survived all this time with out one. It is now my most favourite tool. 

3 comments:

Sonya said...

Hi, can you tell me what tasks you've used the push pin for? Thanks, S.

Monty said...

Hi Sonya, the push pin is used to drive small nails (brads) into wood. You would use it instead of a hammer so as. To save your fingers.

Monty said...

I use it to attach plywood bottoms to boxes and plywood to the back of book cases.