Sunday, June 17, 2012

Garage Sale Bonanza


Today was a great day's shopping at the garage sales. Prince of the finds was an OK brand British Standard Whitworth tap and die set make by a US company called the Greenfield Tap and Die Corporation. I have been looking for a good set for some time now and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. Only problem was that in a very small garage 30 bargain hunters had collected and three dealers stood between me and the tap and die set. I kinda eased my way over and then down on my haunches to reach thru at knee level to get my hands on it. Having done so, one of the dealers groaned and ruefully congratulated me on new prize. It is at least 70 years old, belonging once to a guy who would today be in his 90's, passed on to his son in law, finally to be sold at this local garage sale. I spoke with the lady owner a bit later who said she that it was her Dad's and that she had hoped it would go to a good home. I reassured her that it would and was definitely not destined for the Sunday Market.

According to Wikipedia: The largest tap and die company to exist in the United States was Greenfield Tap & Die (GTD) of Greenfield, Massachusetts. GTD was so irreplaceably vital to the Allied war effort from 1940–1945 that anti-aircraft guns were placed around its campus in anticipation of possible Axis air attack. The GTD brand is now a part of Widia Products Group.


Interesting Link: http://www.americancenturies.mass.edu/collection/itempage.jsp?itemid=18392

and another: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=36608

1 comment:

Raymond Sanderson said...

You lucky basket :)~ Nice haul.

Blog has been added to woolnwood.

Ray